Offering an Alternative Education
At Phoenix we recognise that not all students can access education in a classroom. We want to give students an open air alternative where they can learn to empower themselves and gain confidence in their own abilities.
We can offer day programmes for small groups from schools and special schools to work on projects with the animals on site and we can work at any educational level.
On a daily basis and for 6-week programmes we offer English and Maths at a level appropriate for the student from pre-entry to GCSE and other subjects, from science to horse care, on a personalised curriculum, which is developed in consultation with the originating school and the student. This can then be expanded to use the unique outdoor facilities that are available.
Self-reliance, self-esteem and self-confidence are developed by following an inclusive programme where success is both recognised and shared. Vocational skills are promoted and social ability is nurtured in an environment where difference is recognised and valued.
Students will benefit from:
- A daily English and Maths session differentiated to both the needs of the student and the scheme of work of the presenting school. Progressing from Entry Level to Level 1 (Level 2 in English) and tying in with specifications offered by the presenting school.
- A target led assessment programme concentrating on real work skills based on the AIM programme, (Animal Care and Veterinary Science)
- A suite of qualifications that progress from Entry level 1 to Level 2 building on credits and experience and providing recognised certification that students can carry through to Further Education.
- Small group tutoring with recording and assessment.
- Access to a supportive farm based environment.
- Risk assessed activities; recorded and individually tailored to the needs and abilities of the students.
- Use of a purpose-built Yurt as our Outdoor Classroom.
- Access to a menagerie of animals including Miniature Shetland Ponies, Goats, Reindeer, Chickens, Alpacas etc.